Mark Wieder

Richard-

Wednesday, June 4, 2014, 9:48:20 AM, you wrote:

There is an IDE rewrite underway, and a very large-scope effort to
improve overall rendering.

Eh?

One of the problems with being OCD about my LiveCode consumption is that I can no longer recall where I hear things, whether it was in a newsletter article, a blog post, or the Global Jam chats Kevin and Ben hosted.

The IDE rewrite is AFAIK very early-stage, a logical necessity from the Open Language initiative and the implications thereof related to extensibility. I imagine we'll be hearing more about it as it begins to move from sketchpad to code, but right now it's all about supporting OL so I don't believe there's much concrete that can be said about it until OL gets fleshed out more.

The rendering optimization has been ongoing for many builds, begun with acceleratedRendering and tiling, and continued with the introduction of Skia as the 2D graphics subsystem. Because Skia is layer-based, the benefits of the tiling method are somewhat limited, so the team is exploring a more with-the-Skia-grain approach of focusing on buffered layers instead. I'm not familiar with the intricacies, but given that so much of LiveCode's logic is layer-based I have to imagine this will bode well as a more flexible approach over the long term.

Much of the initial rendering optimization was focused on the needs of mobile platforms, but as Kevin reminds us most of the engine stuff for mobile tends to benefit all platforms. Desktop apps are increasingly using dynamic Metro-style layouts, and even now we can see significant improvement with things like moving multiple objects simultaneously (even on Linux, where rendering speeds used to be abysmal).

I don't know the specific status of the layer-based optimization (maybe it's on those Global Jam chat videos), but I'm sure we'll be hearing more about it as it gets further along, either in the daily blog posts or the newsletter.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 LiveCode Community Manager