Regarding id caching, I had an idea that one might be able to use it to
emulate the performance gain of a 'repeat for each...' style structure on
controls.

Referencing a control by number or name will iterate through the controls
of the card until it gets to the specified one. Thus a loop of the form

repeat with x = 1 to the number of controls of this card
   // do something with control x
end repeat

could in theory be speed up by using

repeat for each line tId in the controlIDs of this card
   // do something with control id tID
end repeat

However I haven't yet tried to measure any actual performance difference,
and I think it would only be faster if there were a large number of
controls.

Ali