You're not going totally crazy, unless I am too.

This fails here in LC7.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.10.1…

on mouseUp
  put 1.884956 into tVar
  put value(tVar + 0)
end mouseUp

…With the following error;
button "A": execution error at line 3 (value: error executing expression) near
"1.884956", char 1

But this works…

on mouseUp
  put 1.884955 into tVar
  add 0.000001 to tVar
  put value(tVar + 0)
end mouseUp

…And this works;

on mouseUp
  local tVar = "1.884956"
  put value(tVar + 0)
end mouseUp

Then if you use Try/Catch, they all fail in LC7.0.1, but work in LC5.5.5!

Paul. :-/