Thanks for reminding me about fsck, I haven't used that in a long time, then
after reading this article I remembered why…

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203176

…it's no longer recommended by Apple since OS X 10.4, but I do realise it can
be a useful fallback if all else fails.

I had already used Disk Utility to check the volume and it didn't come up with
anything, but because I can't replicate the original problem now, even by
putting all files back where they were, that's why I suspected a folder index
problem. The disk on this iMac is getting a bit old now (5 yrs +), so maybe
it's an indication that it's time to think about a replacement.

Paul