On 10/08/15 02:54, Michael Doub wrote:
Richmond,

Just so you know what is going on. Each time a change in made to a field, a lot of management code is executed to properly render the field in case it is needed to be visible. So when a field is modified within a loop, that field management code is executed over and over. When the data is moved into a variable then manipulated the field management code is only executed when the results are put back into the field.

In almost all cases it is much faster to copy a field into a variable, manipulate the data, then put it back in the field when you want to make it visible.

Regards,
   Mike

Thanks: you read my mind - I was going to get up this morning and ask 'why'?

I suffer from a serious problem: I learnt all about this sort of stuff donkey's years ago (about 30) and since the fact that I have a computer that sits on my desk that at 'only' 9 years old wipes the floor with anything available 30 years ago (VAX mainframe) I had really overlooked that sort of thing,
to the extent of completely forgetting about it.

This is, also, the first time I have used a programming language/suite/IDE to process large amounts of data since my BA project in PASCAL (30 years ago) - which, using a much shorter text than Jane Austen's complete works (an English translation of Leibniz's /Monadology/) crashed the University of Durham mainframe; and that didn't
render any visual stuff on screen whatsoever.

I shall now become obsessive about loading everything into variables :)

Richmond.