> On 31 Aug 2015, at 3:45 pm, Mark Wieder <mwie...@ahsoftware.net> wrote:
>
> On 08/28/2015 02:32 AM, Richmond wrote:
>> Or, put another way; will Atom work as a Git GUI?
>>
>> I am downloading a selection of Linux Git GUIs which all look far more
>> primitive than Atom . . .
>
> Not sure what you mean by 'Git GUI'...
>
> If you want to use <YourEditorHere> as a text editor for gui, then by all
> means do so. If you also want to use that for git commit messages, etc, then
>
> git config --global core.editor YourEditorHere
>
> will make that the default editor.
>
> If you want a gui to work with git... um... I'm not sure what to suggest. If
> you want something like gitk then you should probably use gitk (or gitx on
> osx, or tig). Atom's a text editor. Or at least that's all I've ever used it
> for. Maybe there's more there.

Atom comes with a default plugin that recognises local git repositories.  So if
you open the root folder of the git repository as a project folder, it will
highlight which files have been modified since the last commit along with
giving you a few other details like the branch you are on and whether you are
behind on any commits.

However, you can also install a plugin called “Git Plus” that allows you to use
keyboard shortcuts to add/commit/push etc…

I have only tried that plugin once or twice as I prefer to use SourceTree under
os x to deal with git.  I do find the standard features of Atom like which
files have been modified since your last commit handy though.

Cheers,

Charles