Peter Haworth wrote:
Can't make it to Pasadena but I'd love to see the speed improvement code if
possible.

Clarence's code may not prove a useful case for optimizing others given the unusual constraints he needs to work within.

But if optimization techniques are your thing, this is perhaps the best thread on optimization I've seen in our community yet:
<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24945>

It's five pages long, and better reading that many novels. Take your time, it's an enjoyable thread, a story of an algo that originally took 9 minutes getting pared down shorter and shorter on each page from various members of the community until eventually it's completed in just a few milliseconds.

I'll go ahead and spoil the ending because it's somewhat predictable: Dick Kreisel's contribution was the fastest.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems