On 16/12/2015 15:00, Brahmanathaswami wrote:
Sorry but this did not work:

replace "'" with "\'" in tBody
put merge("echo '[[tBody]]' | ") into tCmd
put format ("mail -s \"Visitor Care Notice\" -r \"no-re...@hindu.org\" "
& tAddresses) after tCmd
get shell(tCmd)

tBody = Peter is visiting Kauai from Scotland. He says "It's a great
day...Finally I get a break from coding and get to leave this island in
the northern hinterland and go to another one in the Pacific Blue."

email arrives with quotes stripped out.

Peter is visiting Kauai from Scotland. He says It's a great
day...Finally I get a break from coding and get to leave this island in
the northern hinterland and go to another one in the Pacific Blue.

How curious. No idea what's going on there, sorry. Try using open process and writing the data to it directly, rather than messing about with shell escaping!

Back the first question: how do we replace double quotes in a field or
variable?

put format ("\"") into tEscapedQuote
replace quote with tEscapedQuote

replace quote with backslash & quote in tContainer

                                          Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.br...@livecode.com>
LiveCode Open Source Team