Paul - excellent idea and thanks for this suggestion. There's just one pitfall in my situation. I'm doing this:

   put url serverStackPath into stackData
   open file localStackPath for binary write
   write stackData to file localStackPath
   close file localStackPath

I've now created the 'virgin' stack but the rect it should be is stored as a property in it. So the problem is the next line:

   put the LastRect of stack localStackPath into stacksLastRect

will effectively open the stack, thus assigning the templateStack's rectangle to it before I get a chance to change the rect of the templateStack.

What do you think?