ok, got it working. Thanks for everyone's help. Here is what I have done,

The launcher has a datagrid AppPicker contains the links to the files available to launch.

on mousedoubleup
   set the itemdel to tab
   put the dgHilitedLines of grp "AppPicker" into tLine
   put the dgDataOfLine[tLine] of grp "AppPicker" into tData
put tData["theLink"] & "#" & the milliseconds into tURL -- this will force a reload is the same link is used if laststack is among the lines of the openstacks then -- if there is a stack in memory, delete it
      delete stack laststack
      put empty into laststack
   end if
put the openstacks into stacklist -- remember what was open before the call
   go URL tURL
get the openstacks -- figure out what is new, this must be the name of the new stack
   repeat for each line x in it
      if x is not among the lines of stacklist then
         put x into laststack
         exit repeat
      end if
   end repeat