Peter TB Brett wrote:

> On 27/05/2016 06:27, Mark Wieder wrote:
>> Dang!
>> I was really hoping this was going to work on linux.
>
> I'm really curious what made you think that that was at all likely to
> happen.  I thought that Kevin and I had been _very_ clear, from the
> point at which this work was first announced, that this was going to
> be a revision of the _Windows_ player, specifically to deal with the
> Quicktime problem.  Maybe our communication was ambiguous or unclear
> in some way.

I think everyone on the team has made it clear that this work in response to Apple's deprecation of Quicktime or Windows would be specific to Windows.

But in all fairness, I can appreciate the longing to have video and audio playback restored on Linux. This used to work many years ago, but it got progressively worse over the years and for the last few years hasn't been possible at all.

In broad terms this would be a regression, but the degradation occurred before the current definition of "regression" has been followed (and quite well, to be honest, in that things working in the last Stable build tend to get high priority if found not to be working in a newer DP or RC).

Hopefully with the audio recording funded there we'll also have the ability to play back what we record.

In the meantime, with the focus of the current work indeed on Windows, it may be helpful to review this thread describing some of the issues people have found on Windows (yes, I've asked them to submit bug reports, but relative newcomers are not yet accustomed to filing reports, and double-checking issues with other users in the forums can sometimes be helpful):

<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27380>

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems