Monte,

Thank you so much - exactly that - so for LC6.x I added the follow which
address the problem whether in the IDE or standalone

put the defaultFolder into tSaveDefaultFolder
if (the environment is "development") then -- IDE
  set the defaultFolder to specialFolderPath("engine")
else -- standalone
  set the defaultFolder to appPath()
end if

-- do my PDF printing

set the defaultFolder to tSaveDefaultFolder

If I every see you at a LiveCode Conference (I have to attend Edinburgh
via webcast this year), I owe you drinks or a meal or both!