I can't replicate the problem here. I usually save the stack after editing
and before closing the editor, but it works both ways here for me on El
Capitan, even with the latest 8.1.1-rc1 build. (OK - I didn't reboot the
machine, but otherwise complied with everything in your recipe). Really
curious about what's going on with your system that's interfering with this
process.

...and no, the note about code folding is old and I should probably put it
to bed now.

-----
--
 Mark Wieder