This is strange and very insecure. You should let the tab load and redirect to the PayPal page after the tab has finished doing everything it should do.

I had a similar problem though. I needed a page to give PayPal time to process a transaction. I did this with a fake progress bar, which waited 1 minute and then reloaded the page. If the transaction has been completed, I sent the license, but if the transaction hadn't been completed, I showed a message saying that the license would be delivered manually at a later time after additional checks had been performed.

Kind regards,

Mark Schonewille
http://economy-x-talk.com
https://www.facebook.com/marksch