At the risk of sounding mind-blowingly stupid (hey, recently I've done that several times, so one more time shouldn't hurt that much) I would be really very grateful indeed if someone could exlplain in very simple terms what including Infinite LiveCode capability actually means.

Come to think of things, there may be other people "out there" who don't really understand that either.

Richmond.

On 11/29/16 3:25 pm, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
Thanks Peter & Panos

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: use-livecode [mailto:use-livecode-boun...@lists.runrev.com] Im Auftrag
von Peter TB Brett
Gesendet: Dienstag, 29. November 2016 14:21
An: How to use LiveCode <use-livecode@lists.runrev.com>
Betreff: Re: LC 9 has all the improvements of the LC 8.1 series, yes?

On 29/11/2016 13:15, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
And additionally I would like to know, what caused a new first number?
Why not 8.2? What is the relevant change to make a new major version?
Concerning compatibility?
Hi Tiemo,

  From LiveCode 9 onwards, we will use a simplified numbering scheme:

- If we add anything new or make any backward-incompatible change:
increment first number, reset second number to 0

- If we fix bugs in a backwards-compatible way: keep first number, increment
second number

I explained this in the blog post that I wrote about the LiveCode 9 DP 1
release: https://livecode.com/whats-new-in-livecode-9-dp-1/

The new features in LiveCode 9 will include Infinite LiveCode capability,
with _at least_ the ability to integrate LCB code directly with Java
libraries (such as Android APIs).

                                                        Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.br...@livecode.com> LiveCode Technical Project Manager