Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> I can see why, as a user, you might be uncomfortable about giving
> your email account details to an app so that it can send emails
> in your name, invisibly and unreviewed by you. Quite right too!
> And if you're developing software for consumers, you need to take
> that into account.

Sounds like we're on the same page.

> But I don't understand why as a developer who knows why you want
> the feature you'd be uncomfortable (except from a marketing
> perspective, as per the start of this para).
>
> Can you explain your concern further?

I think you covered it well above.

Many of these sorts of discussion in our community relate to use in consumer apps, often on the desktop and sometimes even on a phone. And for the reasons you outlined so well above, such use cases are highly undesirable.

Beyond that, what an experienced developer wants to do on the machines they admin is of course entirely up to them.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems