On 5/3/17 6:00 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
On 2017-04-30 23:52, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
I have been wanting to know that for years. I have the general idea
but I want to know exactly what each command or property does. How
does layerMode interact with rendering and when should I set it? (I
used it incorrectly and submitted a spurious bug report, but I'm still
not clear on why I was wrong.)

This is perhaps something we should have more clearly documented at the
time

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. It clarifies a lot for me, I really appreciate the time you took to write that up.

It sounds like there will be delays in the case of objects that are created on the fly and assigned a dynamic layermode. I'm thinking of Swami's puzzle where new snapshots are created every time a new puzzle is made. These are dragged around the card by the user.

I assume the buffers are destroyed when an object is deleted. When a new puzzle is started, the game deletes all the old snapshots, then creates new ones and assigns the layermode. Is there an ideal way to handle this? On iOS it's fine, on Android there is significant delay while the puzzle is built.

Would changing the default compositor help? Or are we just at the mercy of the graphics card?

I had originally used fields instead of snapshots thinking that would be faster, but since both are buffered as bitmaps in either case, I guess it doesn't matter.