Mike Kerner wrote:

> Unfortunately, there are very expensive pieces of gear that have
> controls on them that for one reason or another cannot be controlled
> by OS's newer than XP.  I happen to have one, here.  It cost
> $750,000.  There is no dealing with the OS issue without replacing
> the control, and that is also extremely expensive, on the order of
> $400,000, so you would not replace the control without replacing the
> whole unit.  M$, when they decided to dump the XP paradigm, just like
> when they got rid of DOS, broke upgradability for ATM's, machine
> tools and CMM's, X-Ray and MRI machines, PBX's, etc.

All systems eventually reach end-of-life. If a vendor has enough technical expertise to deliver hardware worth $750k, it seems reasonable to expect that expertise would include sufficient familiarity with system life cycles to anticipate a need for modular upgrades.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems