Hehe - what an enjoyable post to read - I couldn't resist 'biting'
on a few things though ;)

On 2017-05-24 17:57, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
Probably most of those programmers (like many well-established
LiveCode programmers) have invested so much time and effort
in learning the high level language(s) they already use that they are
unlikely to switch.

But if we can make them switch, that benefits LiveCode as a whole.

From a marketing point of view I believe that this question is more
pressing than the other one, just because people new to coding have
not got stuck in the groove of a particulalr programming language.

This is partly true - however, 'no man is an island', people develop
preconceptions about things over time which influence the choices in
the future.

I think it would be fair to say there might well be some sort of general
'meme' which floats around with regards to 'English-like' languages
and not necessarily a positive one.

Ergo - someone who has never been a programmer, who perhaps is thinking
of dabbling, might get put off by LiveCode because of its language, just
because they have that 'meme' embedded in that psyche without even trying
it properly.

What does need to be born in mind is that most of LiveCode's installed
user-base like their pudding the way LiveCode serves,
and changing the recipe to attract other people might only serve to
alienate current users rather than attarct others;
probably not worth the risk.

So we must make sure that the 'pudding' our current user-base isn't
diluted in the process. Most companies might start out producing only one kind of 'pudding', but if they never diversify they risk ceasing to be at some point when some other company produces 'pudding+' which people like better; or if they can no longer produce 'pudding' because some 'nanny' decides that
a key ingredient should not be allowed anymore for the health of all.

Having all your eggs in one basket is a little risky...

My school now runs at exactly the size I want it to; those 'factories'
still run. Nobody, as far as I can tell, feels threatened by my
operation,
and I don't feel threatened by them. This is because, although we all
"sell" English as a Foreign Language, we do it in different ways; and
the children who come to my school are quite unlike those who go to
the other ones (which suits me 100%). There is room in the
multiverse of EFL for a variety of products.

It is great that you've reached a 'steady state' with your EFL school :)

However, it is perhaps fair to say that the world of EFL teaching does
not move at quite the same rate as the world of computers, there are lots of very large 'pudding behemoths' out there who care not one whit for small 'pudding' manufacturers - and quite often trample them under foot without
a moment's thought.

I would also conjecture that the infrastructure requirements for our
particular kind of 'pudding' are somewhat larger than for a single
successful EFL school - and when combined with the fast paced environment our 'pudding' is couched in, one needs to be careful that one can support
one's 'pudding' manufacture now and into the long term future.

No: a lot of the syntax isn't English-like, and the claims that have
been flying around about that ever since HyperCard seem almost
as crook as the "programming is easy" porky.

I agree with the statement that 'programming is easy' in general is a bit of a porky.

Most things are not easy when you get below a certain depth (kind of a tautology,
easy things generally being quite shallow in any domain).

However, I am firmly in the belief that many of the reasons why it is not 'easy' right now are not because they could not be easier, but because like most industries there is a huge inertia with how things are currently done and when you are in the midst of doing something, you have to get it done, and perhaps
thinking about 'how to make it easier' is a distant thought.

In general I'd like to think that LiveCode does make some things easier than
other languages - and, in general, it is going in the right direction.

<insert tongue into cheek>
In regards to 'English-like' - then well let's just say LiveCode is 'fibbidy-dab' if 'English-like' is considered too inaccurate. In comparison with pretty much ever other programming language which exists today and is still maintained, I'd say LiveCode is significantly more 'English-like' than any of them thus
justifying its tag of 'English-like' ;)
<removes tongue from cheek>

"Intuitive" . . . ha, ha, ha. Human languages are not intuitive:
otherwise we'd all be learning a new language every 3 or 4 weeks
and the Tower of Babel wouldn't look like Trump Tower!

Indeed - human languages have evolved organically - but they have some
nice properties which most programming languages do not (particularly
in terms of how they reflect, at least in some part, how our brains
would appear to work - being something which has resulted from our brains
rather than the other way round).

At the end of the day computers dislike ambiguity intensely - yet ambiguity is almost a principal part of natural language (automatically resolved in our
brain by context and experience).

So ideally we want a programming language which is intuitive - which we have
a fair stab at achieving because they have to be unambiguous.

I'd say that even being a little bit 'English-like' might help in this regard, although you do have to dump a whole heap of compromise into such thing's design
to pass the 'unambiguous' requirement.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--