If you open invisible, then display it, a modal will not block. This
non-modal behaviour of a modal has been incredibly useful for displaying a
progress  indicator in a modal window. I do not consider it a bug as such
(modal blocks underlying windows, not necessarily code), and would hope this
quirk remains available. Otherwise we would need something like "go stack as
modal with messages".

2p

Hugh Senior