"Assault" . . . Woof.

"The screen seizure indicates a mindset catering to the simplistic, unsophisticated, and non-programming user"

Well . . .

I'm not sure why favouring a backdrop blocking out a desktop indicates that one is 'simplistic' . . .

Until I went to the US in 1993 I had never seen a GUI except for a really awful attempt at one on a BBC Micro; but I was perfectly capable of doing distinctly non-simplistic stuff with FORTRAN, PASCAL, BASIC and so on.

Recently I started a group of kids on a summer programming course with BBC BASIC on a load of
BBC Micro computers: very effective and lots of fun was had all round.

There are front-ends for Linux available that do NOT splatter the screen with icons and other screen 'furniture' (docks and so on) for people who prefer things that way: I don't suppose they are either simplistic or unsophisticated.

Personally I don't like using a backdrop with LiveCode, but I can see its use to the extent that my Devawriter Pro has an in-built
backdrop for those who want one.

"non-programming user"

My Mum uses a laptop running Xubuntu 14.04 where her desktop is gaily peppered with icons and a dock; while she is neither simplistic nor unsophisticated she is most definitely a non-programming user.

For a lawyer you seem remarkably . . . [well, there we are, I'll leave you to fill in the dots].

NOW . . . to be sensible . . .

Let us imagine when starting up LiveCode for the first time we are presented with a menu window that allows us to choose whether we think that we are:

1. A newbie who is seeing the thing for the first time.

2. A haory old programmer who does not need his/her/its handheld.

And at that point we can get all Prince-of-Denmarky with our backdrop.

Richmond.