On 2017-07-28 18:01, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
But those seem pretty rare to me.  On desktop my windows tend to be
different sizes, and on mobile it's important that they be responsive
to any screen size; in either case the specific dimensions at the
moment of creation seem of little value.

All of this is very true... However, Richard, how long have you been designing/programming/building apps for?

A new user coming to a programming environment (of any kind) is usually presented with a wealth of choices. Every choice which can at least be parameterised / or constrained as the first step makes things 'easier' (in some sense).

This is particularly pertinent to mobile - for sure, all apps should be able to adapt to all screen sizes. However, in reality when you start out you have to choose one size. Hence the options in the New Stack menu. It isn't perfect, but at least means a brand new user has some chance of choosing a size which will actually fit pixel-for-pixel on the device they have next to them to play with.

Now, that menu is not perfect - we know its not - you've pointed that out to us often enough ;)

However, we are now actively involved in a process of trying to evaluate what 'first-run' things do actually (measurably) make a difference. I'm sure that particular menu will be the subject of such 'tests' at some point in the process :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/