All crashes are bugs and need reporting. It sounds like in this case you had individual objects selected and tried to edit those as you would a group. The engine couldn't handle it. I've not had a crash if a group itself is selected when I choose "edit group".

To create a group inside another one, edit the "outside" group and then create the inner group.