Thanks Sean, but reading through that article, I think it makes the arguement
for NOT using RegEx, seeing all the arguments back and forth about what is
wrong with each other's regex, and one guy pooh poohing all of them in favor of
a procedural approach.

My goal is not to simply allow certain characters and numbers (I have a
function that does that already) of a given length, but to enforce data
consistency across my apps. That means that while certain numbers are
acceptably formatted phone numbers according to some international standard,
having +1 at the beginning for example, I don't necessarily want that. Periods
are valid delimiters, but I don't want that either.

Now the google api looks promising, but if I have to tie it to a google account
and active internet connection, I will probably stick to rolling my own.

Bob S