I run for days at a time with selectGroupedControls turned on, setting it to false is the exception. It's already possible to align or move any controls together regardless of the groups they are in.

While I rarely use the project browser, it's my understanding that you can align and manipulate multiple controls even if they are on different cards or stacks.