Thanks, Richmond, but as far as I can establish there is no way of detecting
whether there is a physical keyboard attached to a Windows detachable keyboard
device.  Quite a few Win programmers have discussed the issue, but no reliable
solutions posted.

So I have come up with something that seems to work, and I would appreciate any
predictable fail scenarios.

My app has a brief set up screen - select from pop up, select radio button,
click start.  If that is achieved and is associated with > n mousemove
messages, I’m assuming a mouse/trackpad is present, and therefore we are not
running as a tablet, (either in tablet mode, or Win 10 touch screen without
tablet mode).  I can then enable tooltips and not invoke an onscreen keyboard.
(and vice versa)

I think I’d have to wait a while before the Glasgow Tartan appears in Aldi -
but if it does…..

Best wishes,

David Glasgow