I opened a stack where the shared/BG groups are not on the first card and
immediately issued the following in the message box:
put the long id of group "BG1" of card 1 of stack "AutoScriptSaver"
put the long id of group "SG1" of card 1 of stack "AutoScriptSaver"
In both cases I get:
Error description: Chunk: can't find background

Digging a bit, the card chunk is evaluated against the stack and not the
background/shared group.  So since the BG/SG is not on the first card, it
generates an error.  If I find the relative card (2 or 3 in this case) and
use that, it works.  So to get a known consistent long ID for a
background/shared group, it will need to be built manually (or ensure that
every card is visited first).

I'm traversing every object in a stack with a script.  My goal was to avoid
processing background/shared groups more than once.  I capture a list of
shared groups and when looping on the objects on a card I check the list.
If the object is a shared group, then I skip it.

Relevant code is in exportStackScripts and exportChildContolScripts
https://github.com/bwmilby/lc-misc/blob/master/ScriptTracker/ScriptTracker_Scripts/stack_ScriptTracker_button_id_1003.livecodescript

Thanks,
Brian