One reason is that sometimes I have to go to a backup or archive of a stack to
revert some script or object deletion. When that happens I get 2 instances of
the recent stack, but now they are prepended by (sometimes) long paths. Also, I
will open sample stack from time to time, and those stay in the menu cluttering
it up until more recent stacks push them out.

Bob S