Mark Waddingham wrote:

> Yes - so come up with LCS handlers which do that, share them, let's
> work together to make them as efficient in LCS as possible and then
> see what we can do in the engine to improve their performance (which
> I'm guessing is as much the purpose for the proposition as the
> syntax).

It is, primarily. The minor convenience is nice too, but you know how much I love to see performance enhancements in the engine.

As for implementation, Mark Wieder's looks good:
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2018-August/248862.html

Thinking about performance, I wonder if there's anything from some of the changes that have boosted PHP 7's performance so far above its earlier versions which may be relevant for LC:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PHP/comments/3q2brz/how_is_php_7_twice_as_fast/

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems