@brian - yes I am on a Mac. I wondered if it was webkit too. However Safari
performs as expected.
I load the page in Safari, then change the css and then reload the page in
Safari (using the reload button in the address field) and the page reloads
using the modified css.

@Phil - no joy with the extra argument either. I went one step further and made
a second different page and differently called css.
I then loaded my first page. Changed the css. Loaded the second page (which
called a third, differently named css) and then reloaded my original page.
It loaded but still used the original (but no longer present) css. And I tried
this with both normal load and widget deletion/recreation too.

This is one sticky css!

James