A lot of useful points here, thanks.

The caseSensitive vs. binary has been covered in the other discussion --
Monte said that by using offset() "the engine will convert your data to a
string and assume native encoding. This is probably why you are getting
some case insensitivity."

I understand (generally) the complexity of comparison, but that's not the
speed issue causing this discussion. Most of the proposed solutions are
using nearly the same operators/functions for comparison, or at least the
same comparison is being done. Instead, the problem is a Foolish Line
Painter problem: with single-byte characters, finding all occurrences of
one string in another by repeatedly using offset() with charsToSkip scales
well; but with multi-byte characters, the penalty for repeatedly
calculating out longer and longer skips is exponential.

The fastest proposed solutions so far, which both scale much more closely
to linearly with the size of the stringToSearch, are:

1. Set the item delimiter to the charsToFind and then use repeat for each
item on the stringToSearch. This comes with its own headaches, but supports
(lack of) case sensitivity.
2. Converting to UTF-32 binary, and using offset and charsToSkip. This
hasn't yet been corrected to use byteOffset and toUpper to property handle
case insensitivity, but once that is done, this will probably be the
preferred solution between the two -- the logic is simpler, and it's
several times faster.

Thanks,

Geoff