Hi list,
This is a quick follow-up to my post from a couple of months ago.
After weeks of tweeking and testing, I am now 99.99% sure there's
an issue with auto-increment in the latest versions of mySQL, at
least with large tables with several indexes and complex scripts
that insert and update several rows in one pass.

Long story short, I finally removed auto-increment on a primary
key (integer) and added the following lines to my script (pseudo code) :
  select MAX(id) from myTable limit 1
  put it into tMaxID
  add 1 to tMaxID

I've been watching & checking the table content for several weeks,
and random duplicates / corruption of rows have totally disappeared.
I hope I found the solution, but will keep checking.
I also thing I will bypass auto-increment in future projects.

All the best,
jbv