Thanks Brahmanathaswami - was thinking about this again last night and in my
case I think I might be able to get it to work for me if I just use touchmove
(and only track the y delta) for the vertical scrolling and touchend for the
swiping, which is for card to card navigation rather than horizontal scrolling.

Regards,

Terry...

On 20/12/2018 11:53 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
via use-livecode" <use-livecode-boun...@lists.runrev.com on behalf of
use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:

    Terry, I'm interested in this also.

    Get the SivaSiva app ( no space... from iOS and Google Play)

    In the Listen Module, with Elanor's help, I tried to set up a "Spotify" UX
with categories of audio scroll and up and down, and within on categories, left
to right.

    I also get, what is a probably the same as you get, a "conflict" between
Elanor touch events -- from scrolling left with right and up and down.

    In this case we don’t use the mobileScroller at all in mobile, both up and
down, left and right,  are implement with touch. But I think it is the same
thing as you have...

    What I am seeing is: when the up and down in active, the left to right
touch is disabled. It "kinda" works for the user but is very "clunky". I tried
playing with touch startx and y numbers. It gets "worse" as you go down in size.

    The script is small enough to put here. Would be nice of this were fixed
but I don’t seeing how the engine would do it. It would seem that the pTouchX
and pTouchY are managing the scroll independently.

    So you try a "swipe" gesture with your thumb that goes "diagonally"  that
is, changes is location on the  both "x" and "y" axes ... the engine is going
to focus on say just the "y" cords -- you get an up to down scroll or
vice-versa-- but "x" coord are not "seen" and  you don't get any left of right
behavior -- in you case, a card swipe, in my case a group swipe left to right
fails.

    Until you stop and "focus" carefully on "x" axes gesture (left to right, or
vice versa). then you get you Card/Group swipe horizontally...

    on touchStart pTouchID
       put empty into sStartX
       put empty into sStartY

       put the vScroll of grp "all-collections" into sStartYScroll

       put the long owner of the target into tHGroup
       put the hScroll of tHGroup into sStartHScroll
    end touchStart

    on touchMove pTouchID, pTouchX, pTouchY
          if sStartY is empty then
             put pTouchY into sStartY
          end if

          if sStartX is empty then
             put pTouchX into sStartX
          end if

          // Check for vertical scroll

          if pTouchY > (sStartY + 20) or pTouchY < (sStartY - 20) then
             set the vScroll of group "all-collections" to sStartYScroll +
(sStartY-pTouchY)
          else

             if pTouchX > (sStartX + 10) or pTouchX < (sStartX - 10) then
                // Check for horizontal scroll

                put the long owner of the target into tHGroup
                set the hScroll of tHGroup to sStartHScroll + (sStartX-pTouchX)

             end if
          end if

       end touchMove

    on touchEnd pTouchID
      -- code
    end touchEnd

    on touchRelease pTouchID
       -- code
    end touchRelease

    I wish there was are easy fix...but I suspect "not"

    Brahmanathaswami

    On 12/19/18, 2:58 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Terry Judd via
use-livecode" <use-livecode-boun...@lists.runrev.com on behalf of
use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:

        This is a problem that I have run into before and have never been able
to solve satisfactorily. I’m using touchStart and touchEnd handlers to detect
the direction and speed of a finger movement and if it is within certain bounds
(large enough x, small enough y, and fast enough) then the user can swipe back
and forwards through a series of cards. Good so far except when the area they
are swiping on also includes a mobile scroller (to scroll a list selection
widget/thingy). In that situation the swiping becomes a bit of a hit and miss
thing – works sometimes but not others. On iOS there are a few scroller
parameters look potentially useful (canCancelTouches, delayTouches, and
lockDirection) but it’s not really clear (to me at least) which of these might
help and if so whether I should be setting them to true or false.

        Any ideas?

        Terry...