This is a perennial problem. My personal opinion is that unless a user
explicitly wants to alter the line endings in a file, no assumptions should be
made by the developer in this regard. A classic example (at least for me) is
working with files exported from copiers. Let's say I want to export the email
addresses from a Toshiba copier, edit them in a spreadsheet, then re-import
them back into the copier. Simply OPENING the text file, in TextEdit or Word on
a Mac OS will convert the line endings to the Mac defaults, EVEN IF I DO NOT
SAVE THE FILE!!! Now the Toshiba copier will reject the file because it is
expecting line feeds and it has CRLFs instead. So I have to edit these files in
a Windows VM or I break them.

Bob S