Hi Rob,

Windows XP..Rev 2.8.1
I'm writing frond end software that calls DOS programs using the shell command. I call this DOS program hundreds or thousands of time in a single run, and every time, my XP system throws up a transient command window which slows execution and is messy, to say the least.

I tried using "lock screen" but that had no effect..
(actually, I've only ever tried this in interpreted, IDE mode)
I'm stuck now, and will gratefully receive all further suggestions....

set the hideconsolewindows to true
## do your shell stuff...

Well, that's intuitive, isn't it? :-D

Thanks