Well this will be non-blocking, but I don't think there's a way to monitor progress since ditto only produces any info when the copy is done, even with the -v (verbose) option. I think it's the same story with cp.

on shellCopy pSource, pDest
    get shell("ditto" && pSource && pDest && "> /dev/null 2>&1 &")
end shellCopy

This works on OS X, and I'd think Linux. there must be an equivalent on Windows.

Best,

Mark