On Apr 21, 2008, at 1:43 PM, Trevor DeVore wrote:

On Apr 21, 2008, at 4:37 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
I have an app in which we allow customers to register it once so it can be used on any client machine which has that volume mounted, such as a school computer lab.

On OS X and XP, simply writing the reg data into the application folder works great, provided of course the person doing the registration has admin privileges, which for these scenarios is common. So far so good.

But on Vista, the same program using the same code thinks its writing to the program directory during registration, but it turns out that it isn't, and subsequent users report that the program isn't registered.

I understand the basic concept of Vista's virtualization, but here's what I don't understand:

Where do I write my reg file so all users can access it?

Can you use specialfolderpath(35) which is the shared common app data folder?

I have been using specialfolderpath(26) for both XP and Vista. This has been working out well.

Mark Talluto
http://www.canelasoftware.com