Richard

Thanks for the illuminating history of RunRev.

On Dec 1, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

The misunderstanding here is simply that the MC engine *is* the Rev engine.

It began life in 1992 under the name "MetaCard", back when it was owned and maintained by Scott Raney's MetaCard Corp.

While it was still owned by MetaCard Corp., Kevin Miller's company at the time, Crossworlds Computing, built a nifty alternative IDE for it, and arranged a licensing agreement with MC Corp to distribute the engine with their IDE for a much lower licensing fee to their customers in consideration for Crossworlds providing support for it.

Later, Kevin et al formed a new company under the name Runtime Revolution Ltd., and in 2003 acquired the rights to the MC engine and its source, rebranding it as "Revolution":
<http://www.macworld.com/article/25297/2003/07/revolution.html>

Since RunRev Ltd. had their own IDE they had no use for MC's more "primitive" one, so MC Corp retained the rights to that IDE and worked with their loyal customers to arrange for it to be maintained under an open source license (X11, aka "MIT License"). Under those terms, MC Corp. remains the copyright holder of all portions of the original code that are still in the MC IDE today (most of it, although a couple dozen of us have been contributing bits here and there, with Klaus Major doing most of the heavy lifting in recent years - thanks Klaus!), but also allowing the project to be forked and any portion of it to be used for any non-commercial or even commercial work if desired. In fact, we chose the X11 license (as opposed to LGPL and some others with derivative use restrictions) specifically in anticipation of the possibility that we might come up with something there that could be useful to RunRev, so they would be fully protected if they chose to take advantage of anything in it; a modest consideration in exchange for their good work in maintaining and enhancing the engine running.

In 2006 RunRev strengthened their engine licensing security in a way which makes it easier for third parties to create their own IDEs. Today it's relatively simple for anyone to create the custom environment of their dreams, while the engine itself requires only that a Rev installation has been successfully licensed on that machine. Win-win for all: RunRev ensures their revenue for the engine license, while we get total freedom in our workflows (a brilliant move, Mr. Waddingham - thanks!).

So while the MC IDE is open source, and anyone can make any other stacks they like within the Rev license terms, to run any of these still requires the proprietary closed-source Rev engine.
.