Hello Jim,

I'm no expert on spell checking but when I needed a cross-platform spell checker written in rev I broke the problem into 3 parts.
1.  A  UI for interacting with the spell checker
2. A word checker that walks through the given text, word at a time, checking to see if they are in the bank of "real" words 3. Suggested words... presented in the UI to allow quick correction/ selection of the intended word. I found this last part to be by far the most challenging as things get "messy" when dealing with phonics. I ended up using a variation of Lawrence Philips' Double Metaphone algorithm. The idea is to reduce the misspelled word to a short phonetic representation or key. Previously you would also have reduced a subset of the "real" words in your bank to their short phonetic keys as well. You might create a custom property for each unique phonetic key and store all the "real" words that reduce to this key as a list inside that custom property. Then you could take the misspelled word's key and see if there was a custom property name that matched. The hope then is that inside that custom property would be phonetically reasonable suggestions which could be presented to the user.

Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
web       http://elementarysoftware.com/