On 8 May 2009, at 20:13, J. Landman Gay wrote:

Scott Rossi wrote:
Recently, J. Landman Gay wrote:
if literal names are not quoted, the engine takes twice as long to execute the
statement because of the additional lookup.
Jacque, is this really true?

I confess I made up the "twice as long" part, I don't really have any hard numbers on the increase.

I do. :-)

I've held the same belief as yourself. It looks like we're wrong. On my machine (an intel mac)), 100,000 accesses of a field (get field whatever) takes about 95ms for both quoted and unquoted field names. (The field contains about 140 characters) Actually, on average, using a quoted name takes about 2ms longer (for 100,000 accesses). Accessing the field by its number takes about 85 ms. And by its ID takes about 80ms.

Knowledge is power. I bet Bill Gates doesn't know this.

Cheers
Dave