Le 8 sept. 09, à 22:56, Björnke von Gierke a écrit :

On 8 Sep 2009, at 17:05, Trevor DeVore wrote:

I hope there is more logic in the OS X installer then just "luck" ;-) It would be nice to find out what the determining factor is.

I don't have snow leper installed, but I've read the ars technica review.

Basically there's two things going on. most more advanced quicktime features are actually not yet implemented in the new Quicktime Toolkit (QTKit). So for those features, 10.6 always falls back to the QT 7 APIs. Meanwhile there is also a new QT player, dubbed QT X. it also lacks several features that the QT 7 player did have.

The API's are all installed by default (and they need to be, as for example, QT X can't even crop stuff), and those features remain accessible for all applications that do use QT, for example rev. However, the QT player is not, and you need to manually do that by choosing the Quicktime 7 check mark in the installer.

Read it yourself (35'000 words!):
http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/6#qtkit
http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/16

[...]

I am currently reading this very good review, and it does indicate that the APIs are still there. While I previously said that it is beyond runrev's reach to build a multimedia framework by itself, it is quite capable, IMHO, to create a player object with the same functionalities as before and running within SL. Actually, it is probable that the runrev player still works fine (I have not tested it myself, as I am part of the cowards who never install the first release of an OS), since the APIs seemingly are still here.

cheers
        François