sims wrote:

On Nov 6, 2009, at 6:30 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

sims wrote:
In the dictionary user notes for formattedheight, the word "command" is used where "function" might be used. Can someone please explain the significance of that to me? Is it different from a function?

Functionally (all puns intended), "command" is synonymous with "on".

"Command" was added to distinguish between message handlers and commands, though that distinction is stylistic; AFAIK they can be usdd interchangeably.

Thanks... I was wondering if I was missing out on some new script goodies there. ;-)

Possibly one:  have you started using the new "private" keyword?

E.g.:

private function EmpName
  return fld "FirstName" && fld "LastName"
end EmpName

By specifying a command or function as "private" means it can only be accessed by other handers in the same script.

This has two benefits:

1. It helps keep some handlers from being called, things like internal utility functions in a library stack.

2. Speed: being available only to the local handler, they trim a fair bit of the message-passing overhead. While the time to call both a private and public handler is too small to be noticeable in a single call, access time to private handlers benchmark about 30% faster, so for frequently-accessed handlers it can be useful.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World