On 04.01.2010 at 12:53 Uhr -0800 Bob Sneidar apparently wrote:
oic. I am wondering then how this is going to impact On-Rev, which offers mySQL support? I intended to write a multiuser application and host it on my On-Rev site, but I am wondering now if Runrev is going to be forced to charge users an extra fee to continue to host MySQL if Oracle ever decides to up the ante, so to speak, or even discontinue mySQL to force people to adopt Oracle.

Having a certain department here who purchased Solaris and Oracle long ago for their server(s) and databases, I can testify that these are VERY PRICEY options, and are overkill for almost all but the high end database needs.

Another plausible scenario could be that Oracle decides to have two revenue streams, Oracle on the high-end and MySQL on the lower-end, expanding the scope of their products and keeping MySQL free for non-commercial users but cutting down its high-end features. All of this is however pure speculation and we just have to wait and see.

Robert