On Jan 5, 2010, at 5:36 AM, Bill Vlahos wrote:

exporting or viewing the document would be a multi-step process 1) Decrypt, uncompress, and export the file to the disk, 2) opening the file. This would be additional steps and would leave the unprotected file on the file system.

Perhaps there is a way to do this transparently directly from the program without saving a copy to the disk but I can't think of it. Opening a document that comes via email or web download appears to do this but in actuality they download and store a copy of the actual document somewhere on disk and then open it.

While this might not be a complete solution, maybe it helps: When you open a document open it as a temp file so at least the file is not easily grabbed. When your app closes, or maybe even when a viewer in your app closes or goes to a new item, have it also write over that temp file with gibberish, or simply have the temp file deleted.

I did that for an app that played videos that were compressed and saved as custom properties - then reopened as temp files and played.

sims