On Feb 18, 2010, at 6:08 PM, Kay C Lan wrote:

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Luis <l...@anachreon.co.uk> wrote:

I was reading the list of ingredients on an English bottle of ketchup we had
bought in Spain

A free weeks subscription to the Rev Use List for anyone who knows the
origin of the word ketchup without looking it up in the dictionary.

Well, the urban legend I've always heard is that Heinz wanted to differentiate themselves from the competition, so invented an alternate spelling of 'catsup'.

I also remember a tomato-y sauce in Indonesian restaurants in Holland called 'ketjap' (I may be misremembering the spelling.)

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University