Looking for standards among RSS feeds is like looking for standards in Windows GUI designs: everyone knows they're published somewhere, but no one takes the time to read 'em. ;)

I've been parsing a bunch of RSS files, and man, what a wild west of weirdness it is.

For example, most of the RSS specs I've read suggest that all data is plan text, with HTML allowable only when marked as CDATA.

But I've seen feeds that do that backwards, and some that have some strings containing character entities flagged as CDATA with other containing entities that aren't flagged -- in the same feed!

By what rule should I know when to translate data from character entities back to plain old ASCII?

Browsers seem to handle the mish-mash rather well; wish I were as graceful at handling all the inconsistencies I'm finding.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World