Peter Haworth wrote:

Grouping and ungrouping objects by selecting them on a card works great in simple situations but when you have multiple levels of nested groups or hidden fields or even hidden groups (as recommended for tab controls for example), it can be a nightmare to add or delete an object. I'm wondering if I'm missing something and perhaps there's another way to add an object to a field without ungrouping and regrouping?

When I have that situation, I bypass the IDE entirely and just use the message box. It's way faster. If the control already exists, you can do this:

 copy btn "myNewButton" to grp "myDeeplyNestedGroup"

Then just delete the original from the card. If instead you want to make a new control:

 create btn "newButton" in grp "myDeeplyNestedGroup"

After that, you can select the new control and set properties normally if selectGroupedControls is true. Or alternately you can set the templateButton, or templateField, or whatever, with all the properties first and then issue the create command.