Kee Nethery wrote:

> I have one stack that I deploy as a standalone. Most stacks I deploy
> using the updater so the actual thing going out to users is the stack
> with the .rev suffix removed. In this case, it's the stack saved as a
> standalone.
>
> I'd like to see what I did in a previous version and I've just
> realized that unlike Hypercard where the app and stack get merged
> together and you can still go in and read the scripts ... RunRev
> seems to not use that mechanism. I don't seem to be able to open
> and view my stack in RunRev or even in a text editor now that it's
> in a standalone. It's not encrypted or anything. It's just a small
> stack converted to standalone.

Correct, as of v4.0 and later. In earlier version you could drop the executable within the OS X bundle onto TextEdit to read the scripts of a non-password-protected standalone, but with v4.0 the way standalones are built has changed - this is from the Engine Change Log included with the Rev install:

New features added in 4.0

Standalone Building

The method by which standalone building is done has changed in this release. Standalones are now built in such a way that they behave much better as executable files on all three platforms.
The new method of standalone building also improves on the previous method by implicitly compressing and masking the main stackfile that is being built. This reduces standalone size, and also makes it harder for individuals to attempt to reverse-engineer a built standalone.

So with v4.0 and later, with or without a password you'll need to keep a copy of the original source file in order to read scripts.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World