Richard Gaskin wrote:
FWIW, I picked up a netbook a few months ago and have been very happy with it. It weighs only slightly more than an iPad, cost about $200 less, has a physical keyboard, the screen is self-supported so I don't need to hold it with one hand while typing with the other, it folds up nicely so I can stuff it in my shoulder bag without worrying about screen damage, and best of all it comes bundled with an entire computer. :)

I can run anything I want on it: I'm learning R right now and it's nice to be able to have it available on every computer I use. And of course Rev runs well there, even though I've set my netbook up with Ubuntu.

I used to use the standard Ubuntu for my netbook until I discovered the Ubunutu Netbook Remix, optimized in both architecture and UI for netbooks - you can learn more about it here:
<http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr>

You may find Ubuntu more Mac-like than Windows, but there are plenty of Windows-based netbooks as well if you prefer, and pretty much all netbooks are dirt cheap (usually between US$300 and US$500).

And you can not only run Rev on a netbook, you can use the IDE as well. I've enjoyed many a cappuccino while coding at my corner bakery. :)
I thought the reason that netbooks were so cheap was because they were under-powered, or under-spec'ed.
Do you find them (or it) adequate for general use ?
Does it run the full Rev IDE reasonably (I know you use a fairly minimalist one most of the time) ?

Thanks
-- Alex.