Graham & Heather Harrison wrote:
Jacque wrote:
Rev can't find the external. The "handler" it's missing is one of
the calls in the external library.

So since I put it where instructed, and where rev Preferences says to
look, why is it "missing"?

You need to tell the stack to use it. Or, alternately, you need to set up the IDE to automatically use it. You can do the first by setting the externals property of the stack (the first lesson), you can do the second by setting up the IDE folder and loading structures (the second lesson.) Unless you plan to use this external in every stack, setting up for a single stack is good enough.

Externals are a little bit advanced. They aren't hard exactly but
I'm not sure I'd learn Rev with them. This may be something you
want to wait a while to tackle.

I'm not looking to write externals at the moment. This one obviously
provides some solutions to rev's shortcomings on Mac OS, so I would
like to see what is handled. That way I can save myself a lot of
frustration (f'ing and blinding about why doesn't that work) and toil
(reinventing perfectly good wheels).

I didn't mean writing one, just using them. Externals are custom extensions to the language. When you're just starting out with Rev I figured using the native stuff first would be the best way to wrap your head around how things work in general before jumping into extra additions. But they aren't *that* hard, so if you want it, go for it.

On the other hand, if you're game, there are two lessons on the web
site that cover how to set up and work with a stack using
externals.

Does this mean that using an external is not just a case of putting
it in the appropriate library and Voila!? In that case I will have to
look at these lessons…

Right, they aren't automatic, they need to be specified. If you set the externals property of your stack using the correct file path to the external, it will load the next time the stack loads. If you want it available all the time for all stacks, then Trevor's lesson explains in good detail what you need to do to make it a part of the IDE. I don't generally go that far, since the very few externals I use are almost always exclusive to a particular stack. I usually put the external in the same working folder with my stack and point the stack's externals property to a relative file path.